In honor of #National Intern Day, we’d like to celebrate and recognize our own law clerk, Jacob (Jake) Langerot.
Jake joined Hovey Williams in February of 2022 as a Law Clerk. We’re thrilled to announce that he will continue clerking with team Hovey through the upcoming school year!!!
Here are some things that will help you get to know Jake, and see why we like him so much.
- Jake is a J.D. Candidate at University of Missouri-Kansas City where he studies Intellectual Property/Patent Law, and a MBA Candidate at UMKC Henry W. Bloch School of Management
- UMKC Law School Activities and Societies:
Lawyering Skills (Legal Writing) Teaching Assistant, UMKC Law Review Articles Editor, UMKC Law Review Staffer, Published Comment Author, Phi Delta Phi, Intellectual Property Law Society, and First Generation Professionals Program
Honors: Received “CALI Excellence for the Future Award” in Patent Prosecution, Dean’s Honor List (Fall 2020-2021; Spring 2021-2022),
William C. Lengel Scholarship, Diversity Merit Scholarship
Publications: Space – The New-Age Laboratory: The Importance of Patents in Outer Space and the Urgency of a Strong, Enforceable Patent System Beyond Earth’s Surface, UMKC L. Rev. (forthcoming)
- UMKC Henry W. Bloch School of Management Activities and Societies:
Dean’s Student Advisory Board Member, Professional MBA Student Focus Group Participant
- Jake graduated Magna Cum Laude from Rockhurst University in 2020 with a Bachelor of Science – BS in Chemistry with a minor in Physics
Activities and societies: Phi Lambda Upsilon, Phi Alpha Delta, Honors Student Association, and American Chemical Society
- From Columbus, Kansas, a small town of around 3,000 in the very southeast corner of the state.
- Graduated from Columbus Unified High School – 2016 Valedictorian
- Family includes parents, Danny Jr. and Beverly, sister Taytum, grandparents Paula and Danny Sr., Aunt Lori, and cousin Kai.
- Moved to Kansas City, MO in 2016 for undergrad
- Volunteer work: Harvesters Food Bank, KC Pet Project, Hogan Prep Academy Tutor, KC Wildlands – Jerry Smith Prairie Restoration
SOME ACTIVITIES JAKE HAS ATTENDED OR PARTICIPATED IN WHILE AT TEAM HOVEY:
- Part of a foursome at UMKC School of Law 26th Annual Professor Downs Scholarship Golf Tournament
- Was on winning team at Game Show Battle Room with other team Hovey Associates at a fun summer outing
- Lawyers’ Association of Kansas City – Young Lawyers Section (LAKC-YLS) Annual Luncheon
- SevenDays Kindness Kickoff Breakfast
- Band of Angels Art That Blows 2022 Step-and-Repeat Event
QUESTIONS & ANSWERS WITH JAKE:
What is the best thing about your internship thus far?
- The opportunity to learn so much more about IP/patent law, the legal field, and the process of obtaining a patent.
- Everyone’s friendliness and willingness to help me learn the ropes.
- Helping with such a variety of projects and being able to learn something new every day.
- Ultimately, confirming/realizing that IP/patent law is a field that I really enjoy and want to remain in.
What influenced you to pursue a law degree? Why Patents/IP?
- I came across IP/patent law in a third-year chemistry class my senior year of high school. I enjoyed learning about science but wasn’t necessarily interested in going into the medical field or working in a laboratory. Therefore, I thought patent law aligned well with my strengths and capabilities, was extremely interesting, and was a field that I would enjoy being in.
What is your favorite thing about KC?
- To me, KC is great because you have all the perks of a “city” but in the Midwest. Some of my favorite things to do in KC include visiting the Nelson-Atkins Museum of Art, attending First Fridays, relaxing in Loose Park or on the lawn of the WWI memorial, and attending Chiefs games. Additionally, KC is just close enough to my hometown that I can easily take a trip home to visit my family when possible.
What are your hobbies? How do you relax? What do you do in your down time?
- Visiting museums, going to live performances, and going to sporting events
- I enjoy discovering new music, trying new restaurants, visiting new places, and generally spending time outside when the weather is nice.
- I also enjoy taking care of my houseplants (and getting new ones) and propagating cuttings to give to friends and family.
- I recently got a puppy named Ollie and have been enjoying spending my down time with him. 🙂
♥That face!!! Puppy love!
What is your favorite quote?
- One of my favorite quotes comes from the “Think Different” ad campaign produced by Apple in the late 1990s:“Here’s to the crazy ones. The misfits. The rebels. The troublemakers. The round pegs in the square holes. The ones who see things differently. They’re not fond of rules and they have no respect for the status quo. You can quote them, disagree with them, glorify or vilify them. About the only thing you can’t do is ignore them. Because they change things. They push the human race forward. And while some may see them as the crazy ones, we see genius. Because the people who are crazy enough to think they can change the world are the ones who do.”
What’s on your bucket list?
- Take an Antarctica Cruise
- Visit Pompeii