Scott is a partner with the firm and is the head of the litigation department. He began his career in California's Silicon Valley in 1990. He moved to Kansas and joined Hovey Williams in 1999. His practice includes all aspects of intellectual property creation, management, enforcement and licensing, with particular emphasis on intellectual property litigation. Scott has been a full time first chair trial lawyer since 1999, handling more than one hundred lawsuits in state and federal courts across the country in his career, both at trial and on appeal.
Scott has handled a variety of intellectual property litigations as lead trial counsel, including patent, trademark, trade dress, unfair competition, copyright, and trade secret actions. He has significant expertise in patent infringement actions, representing plaintiffs and defendants in all aspects of such disputes. His experience includes a wide range of technologies, including digital and computer hardware, digital signal processing, software, agricultural implements, complex mechanical machines, medical devices, and chemical and bio-technology based disputes. He has played a leading role in a variety of successful patent enforcement and licensing campaigns on behalf of the firm's clients.
Scott also advises clients on infringement, validity and patentability opinions, trademark and trade dress disputes, IP licensing, and other IP related business decisions.
Scott has been selected as a Fellow of the Litigation Counsel of America, a national trial lawyer honorary society composed of less than one-half of one percent of American lawyers.Litigation Counsel of America.
Areas Of Practice
- Intellectual Property Litigation
- California, 1990
- Missouri, 2000
- Kansas, 2007
- U.S. District Court Western District of Missouri, 2000
- U.S. Court of Appeals Federal Circuit, 1995
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office, 1997
- Santa Clara University School of Law, Santa Clara, California
- Juris Doctor - 1990
- University of California-Santa Barbara, Santa Barbara, California
- Bachelor of Science - 1987
- Major: Electrical and Computer Engineering
Honors and Awards
- Fellow, Litigation Counsel of America
- Missouri & Kansas Super Lawyers, 2011
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Association of Patent Law Firms (APLF), Member Board of Directors
- American Bar Association
- Federal Circuit Bar Association
- Missouri Bar Association
- Kansas Bar Association
- California Bar Association
- Eta Kappa Nu