Kyle joined Hovey Williams as a clerk in 2012. Now an associate, his practice primarily focuses on U.S. and foreign patent preparation and prosecution in the chemical, biotech, and mechanical fields. Kyle is also a frequent speaker and writer on various topics in the field of intellectual property law.
During law school, Kyle served as an intern for the Honorable Mark S. Cady, Chief Justice of the Iowa Supreme Court. He also interned for the State Appellate Defender's Office, where he argued in front of the Iowa Court of Appeals and prepared appellate briefs for submission to the Iowa Supreme Court.
As an undergraduate, Kyle worked as a research assistant for the University of Kansas, Department of Pharmaceutical Chemistry, where he assisted graduate students working to develop injectable colloidal gels and therapeutic multiple sclerosis treatments. Kyle also worked in Hydrological Investigations for the United States Geological Survey, where he performed and reviewed various water quality analysis techniques for rivers, streams, and lakes.
Publications and Speaking Engagements
- Co-Presenter, Protecting 3-D Seismic Data and other Trade Secrets in the Oil Patch, KBA/WAPL Oil, Gas, and Mineral Law CLE, October 25, 2019.
- Co-Author, Strictly Fun Dancing?, Copyright Comment, Intellectual Property Magazine (March 2019).
- Presenter, Beginner’s Basics of Patent and IP Protection, Global Entrepreneurship Week, Kansas City, November 16, 2018.
- Co-Presenter, Sovereign Immunity, Lawyers Association of Kansas City, Annual IP CLE, February 21, 2018.
- Guest Lecture, Introduction to Intellectual Property Law, Drake University Law School, November 9, 2016.
- Can You Keep a Secret? The Court’s Role in Protecting Trade Secrets and Other Confidential Business Information from Disclosure in Litigation, 62 Drake L. Rev. 885 (2014).
Areas Of Practice
- Trade Secrets
- IP Litigation
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office, 2016
- Missouri, 2015
- Kansas, 2014
- U.S. District Court District of Kansas, 2014
- Drake University Law School, Des Moines, Iowa
- Juris Doctor - 2014
- Honors: With High Honors
- Honors: Order of the Coif
- Honors: Order of the Barristers
- University of Kansas
- B.S., Bachelor of Science - 2011
- Major: Chemical Engineering - Biomedical Concentration
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Kansas Bar Association (KBA), Intellectual Property Law Section
- Kansas City Metropolitan Bar Association (KCMBA)
- Iowa Intellectual Property Law Association (IIPLA)